Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default No Signal Input on Monitor but Computer is DEFINATELY on

Hi Guys hoping somebody can help...

As title suggest for the past few months i have been intermitentally getting no signal input displaying on my monitor when i turn on computer.

If i turned the computer on and off a few times it would eventually work.

It is now not working with turning computer on and off (get no input signal on monitor) but the computer is definately on and working - i use an xbox 360 as a media extender and it (xbox) sees the computer and will still stream files to the xbox.

Thanks in advance for any help!

What is make of computer?

What is make of monitor?

It actually could be many things, Try this first, take the video cable off and put it back on tight. The best way to start troubleshooting this is to try another monitor. Others will have more ideas for you.

Something to look at here http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Display...quot/m-p/23714
    Last edited by zep516; 05-23-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

I have replaced cable with 2 different ones and each time have made sure its nice and secure - unfortunately it wasnt this.

They are both HP - im at work sorry and cant check model number but can post that tonight...

I have tried the monitor that isnt working on my laptop and works fine - i have also tried hooking up the computer to my LCD in the lounge and i have the same problems - sometimes works sometimes it doesnt...

ok

Cables good Monitor good!

Next:

It could also be the video card inside the computer if one is installed. It could be a Video Card driver issue also. If there is a video card in the computer you can try and re-seat the card pull it out and put it back in. This can be many things as I said, I will leave the post open to all responses from others...

Something to look at here http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Display...quot/m-p/23714
    Last edited by zep516; 05-23-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Really appreciate your help and that link does look very useful - will try it all when i get home...Thanks for your swift helpful replies!!

One swift way to troubleshoot would be to attempt to boot in safe mode. If monitor work fine, it's either a driver, or more likely too high a resolution set.

Booting into safe mode loads the most basic resolution your computer can handle.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Ok so i reseated the video card with no luck...Mr Darn thanks for your reply, how do i boot into 'safe mode' without being able to see the monitor?

Also how do i take it out of safe mode if that doesnt work? (at the moment i can still access all my files on the computer through the xbox but if i boot into safe mode i understand internet connection is disabled thus not being able to 'see' my files anymore.)

I'm curious how you reseated the video card. That would have required a power down of the computer, pull the card out put it back in . Then you would have had to reconnect to the internet at that point. How did you do that without a monitor?

I like MrDarn Idea.......

I truly think the video card is bad, and or motherboard. Replacing the video card with a cheap one would be something to consider here too.

Also provide the model # of the computer.

And the video card that you reseated.
    Last edited by zep516; 05-25-2010 at 07:26 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

In a nutshell, simply tap the F8 key after you hit the power button about once a second.

The whole sequence after that is done in minimum resolution, so if you don't have anything appear on your screen, its a hardware issue, as Zep suspects.

However, if you see something on the screen, then it would be a software issue, or more directly, a setting or driver issue, which you can correct from safe mode.

Using the KISS theory, are you sure the monitors colour, contrast etc settings are correct? It wouldn't be the first time something as simple as that could be the issue

Lastly, since this seems to be an aftermarket/removable video card, does your motherboard have an on-board graphics port you could try with your card removed?

If not, a cheep graphics card would be my next suggestion, as Zep has mentioned.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

If you see nothing, ever, Safe Mode won't help either. This is because when you first turn on, all devices work in standard VGA mode during the initial stages of the boot process. Safe Mode is not a factor until POST is completed and the BIOS seeks the first boot device. So if you do not even see the initial POST where the graphics splash screen, RAM check, prompt for BIOS Setup Menu is displayed, then the problem is before the driver is even looked for, suggesting the card, motherboard, or PSU.
    Last edited by arraknid; 05-26-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary info.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Windows Expert IT Pro, 2007 - 2014

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast