Default Outlook Express won't start up

When I click on Outlook Express it won't launch (note, I go to the windows task manager and see that msimn.exe is eating up more and more memory).
    I'm using XP Home Edition 2002, SP3 and IE 7.0.5730.13 - running on a Toshiba Satellite. Btw, I don't have OS cd (the OS came loaded on the PC). I've been using OE for quite some time and have never had this issue before...

Thanks,
    Mike

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Check this out, even if OE won't start, some of the steps, like registering some of the OE files may help. An Outlook Express basic repair kit

Thanks. I Reregistered OE, but that had no effect.

I was unable to Re-register all of the dlls - and got these 2 messages: "mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered"; and: "LoadLibrary ("msjava.dll") failed - the specified module could not be found." I then rebooted the PC, and tried to launch OE - with no luck.

Blog Entries

File Corruption in Outlook Express

You may need access to a working OLE on another computer and copy the DBX files

By Tom Koch
    The Most Common Cause of Corruption

When encountering the symptoms of DBX corruption, many people immediately fear that their computer is infected with a virus. As surprising and ironic as it may seem though, the most common cause of DBX corruption is not a virus, but rather anti-virus programs that are configured to scan incoming or outgoing e-mail. Even the most well-known anti-virus programs have exhibited this problem from time to time. To lessen the risk of such corruption you should disable the e-mail scanning module in your anti-virus program. This is usually easy to do by looking at the user-configurable options in the anti-virus program. It is not at all necessary to scan e-mail for viruses to protect your computer.
    Now before you dismiss me as mad, let me explain why e-mail scanning is unnecessary. Almost every anti-virus program for Windows installs by default a system scan that runs in the background every time Windows starts. This scan is necessary to protect your computer. If you receive a virus in an e-mail attachment, the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the attachment. At that time Outlook Express extracts the attachment from the message and saves it to the Temporary Internet Files folder on your hard disk and attempts to open the file. And it is precisely at that moment that a background system scan will detect the virus, provided it is able to do so, and stop the virus from executing. The system scan will usually delete the infected file from the Temporary Internet Files folder, or else move it to quarantine.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Shutting off the security didn't work.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

OE has been known to have damaged dbx files if the size of file exceeds 2 gig. To find out how big the inbox.dbx file is, go to C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\[{large hexadecimal string}]\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

The following I have garnered from various sources and tried to make a complete instruction out of them. I cannot guarantee it's success, so you will have to take your chances on it. Your other alternative is to download
    the latest replacement for Outlook Express which is Windows Live Mail. The Microsoft web site offers Windows Live Mail as a free download and the program can be installed in a matter of minutes - please refer to the corresponding articles for step by step instructions. FYI, Windows Live Mail is much more than a substitute for Outlook Express because it is not only an email and news client but also works as a blogging tool and an RSS reader - details can be found in Windows Live Mail features article.
    If you're worried about losing any of your e-mails run Repair Tool of the Week: DBXtract 4.5 | Technibble their blurb is self explanatory. After saving the e-mails, make sure that in future any DBX file does not get up to 2GB. Make sure you create new folder/s in OE and segregate/sort the mail to the new folder/s so that the mailbox DBX file size remains below 2GB, keep them below 1GB to be on the safe side. You will have to do this regularly.

You can try the following, copy the inbox.dbx file and save it to desktop (for now). Go back to the original outlook.dbx file and delete. Now try opening OE, a new and empty inbox.dbx should have been created,if not, create one yourself. If this works for you great, and if you've extracted the e-mails you want to keep, you can delete the inbox.dbx on your desktop. If there are other .dbx files and they are over 2gig, you can do the same to them (I'm not running OE so cannot refer to the actual folder).

Stay tuned as others may have suggestions.